Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Day #1

Happy New Year!

My first day away from Facebook has been pretty uneventful- I have a semi-sick baby, so he kept me busy. I did get a ton done around the house before noon though, so that was a plus!

One of the first items on my list was to learn to bake bread. We usually eat whole wheat bread from the store, but I have heard mixed reviews about baking it from scratch. It can be difficult to get the rise and consistency just right, so I decided to start off with white bread.

This is the recipe I used- I really wanted to try it using my KitchenAid mixer, and this recipe is designed for that.
The process of "kneading." So glad I didn't have to do all of that work by hand! 

                                                                            After!
I actually made two loaves. They aren't the prettiest, but they are delicious! We've already eaten an entire loaf between midnight snacking and breakfast- I will definitely use this recipe again. Now that I know that it can be done, I have a few purchases that I need to make- a cutting template (for cutting the bread thin and uniform to make sandwiches and stuff), a good bread knife and a few nice loaf pans. Baking a couple loaves weekly is really no trouble and will be so much healthier than what we usually use.

7 comments:

  1. Steph, I have had a bread machine for at least 20 years. Still works. It has a dough setting and I love it. But if i get to lazy, I just make the bread in the machine. I do have Grandma Peterson's old Kitchen aide that one day will go to Justin, if I knew u wanted one I would have given it to you. Making bread is prymal, but fun. Love u and miss u on face book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. from aunt tammy, don't know how to publish yet.

      Delete
  2. The bread looks delicious! I bet it filled your home with that awesome aroma of freshly baking loaves. Facebook has nothing on this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy. Miss you and Will, but I know you will get much accomplished. Love you.

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aunt Tam, thanks for the comment! Mom has a bread machine too, and I was thinking of getting one, but wanted to try it with the mixer first. Since we don't have a ton of storage space I didn't want to waste space or money if I didn't have to- and glad to find out it works fine without it! I love that you have the old KitchenAid. So cool! Isn't it the same one they used in the Bakery?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Jeff! Laurie, miss you too! I will try to put some Will photo posts on here soon. :)

    ReplyDelete