Thursday, January 3, 2013

Day #3: A birthday "cake"

Tomorrow is J's 25th birthday! He is really getting "old." 
One of my goals was to make his birthday cake. He didn't really have any opinions when I asked him what he wanted, but he jumped at the thought of having molten chocolate lava cakes. 

I checked out a bunch of recipes, and found one that The Pioneer Woman tried (and if she gives it a thumbs up, it must be amazing). His birthday is actually tomorrow, but he will be working ALL day, so this was our only day to celebrate. His parents graciously hosted his birthday dinner (which ended up being the best thing since we've been fighting illness in this house... the last few days have consisted of a very, very bossy boy and several long naps for both him and myself). We had steak fajitas, and they were delicious! 

I pre-made the batter and baked it after dinner... there were a couple of funny moments, like when I tried to flip one over to make sure it was done and it exploded chocolate "lava" (like a real volcano!) everywhere. It wasn't the pretty tiny cake from the pictures! 

^^My sad lava explosion cake- I ended up eating this one and though it wasn't pretty, it still tasted great!


Once I let it sit for a slightly longer resting time than the recipe called for, it was ready and ended up being very tasty! 

 The final product- when cut into, the center was gooey, warm and chocolatey! It was served with vanilla bean ice cream, and homemade chocolate whipped cream with strawberries. 


We were lucky to have "Uncle Drums" still in town, visiting from college to take a few family pictures! 


Will begging for "mah, mah, mah" in a very demanding voice! He loved it too.

Day #3 off of Facebook hasn't been hard at all, and honestly I haven't missed it... 

Wishing my amazing, sweet husband a HAPPY, happy birthday. I am so blessed and thankful that he came into my life almost ten(?!?!) years ago. Time really flies...

3 comments:

  1. Wow!! That cake looks great and very professional! :) Happy bday to J!

    ReplyDelete
  2. are those curtains from target? bc i swear i saw the exact pair and wanted them soo badly. they are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, I need to stop using the iPad for typing. That should read: 'Em, this is at J's parent's house, but the curtains came from World Market- they're super cute!'

    ReplyDelete